Divine Calm: Thanks Vets!

« Home | After war, let there be peace » | Click on this and see what causes Murphy to becom... » | Ye better focus or you'll walk the plank, ummm sli... » | Ice cream a la dog  » | Random votes » | Pretty morning  » | Is Maureen Dowd Necessary? » | Don't you hate it when... » | After the first frost  » | 100 things about me »

11.11.2005

Thanks Vets!



Thanks to Veteran's Day, I have today off from work. As I am sitting here with my bleaching strips in my mouth, I am trying to fully appreciate today's meaning. Fortunately, I have not been personally affected by war, but I feel somewhat guilty not doing anything to properly celebrate this national holiday. Yesterday, as I was rushing downtown to buy my lunch, I didn't even have enough time to stop and watch the Veteran's parade honoring the Lima Company.

Perhaps the freedom to do what I wanted to do both during yesterday's parade and today illustrates what Veteran's Day means to the everyday American. Yesterday I didn't have to stand and watch a parade filled with propaganda due to fear of government retaliation. I was free to roll my eyes and groan out loud when I saw my mayor hamming it up on the podium. I was free to buy a Cuban wrap and head back to work.

Today I am free to clean, work on law school admissions, blog, and bleach my teeth all I want. Many young soldiers have fought and even died so I can simply live my life the way I want to live it. And for this, I am thankful.