Divine Calm: Ye better focus or you'll walk the plank, ummm slide.

« Home | Ice cream a la dog  » | Random votes » | Pretty morning  » | Is Maureen Dowd Necessary? » | Don't you hate it when... » | After the first frost  » | 100 things about me » | Goats help boy cope with ADHD » | Be very jealous...my view from the copier at work.... » | beautiful  »

11.09.2005

Ye better focus or you'll walk the plank, ummm slide.


Yesterday I tutored my two lovely yet rambunctious kindergarteners. I was feeling very confident in my tutoring skills after teaching Kyra to carefully turn the pages of the book we were reading rather than acting like she was smacking a fly. She even amazed me with her spelling prowess and writing coordination.

However, my other student, Tiffany, reminded me that I have a long way to go before I become tutor of the year. As you know, kindergarteners have an attention span of a, well, a kindergartener. Therefore, the first half of the tutoring session always goes more smoothly than the end of the session. In the past, I have had to resort to raising my voice to Snow White like sweetness, fly my hand like a buzzing bumblebee on speed, and contort my face like Jim Carey in order keep the cutie patooties’ attention on their lessons. Today I went too far. Tiffany kept on looking around the room at the other students’ progress instead of listening to my directions. I became frantic and squeaked in order to regain her gaze and point out the letter, “R”. For a brief moment, I beamed as Tiffany pointed out both the upper and lower case R’s. Then Tiffany began squinting her eyes, moving her head back and forth and saying “RRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrr” like a pirate. “RRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. HA HA HA HA!!!” Now in a full giggle fit, Tiffany suddenly became aware that she had completely lost her composure and giggled some more. I smiled but vowed to retire my Disney princess voice for future lessons.